I wrote this article for the etsy forums after over exceeding myInstagram goal this week of hitting 1,500 followers. I wrote it yesterday and now have closer to 1,700 yay! When I started out on Instagram 3 months ago I had no clue what I was doing... but over time I picked up many important lessons that brought me over 1,500 followers and many etsy sales and clients !!
Here is what I've learnt: 1. put your best photo forward - don't just post every random photo of your daily activities in order to fill up your feed and attract likes and followers. It will actually make people UNfollow you! Many very popular and successful instagramers post around 1-3 WOW!! photos a day that get thousands of likes!! It's not the QUANTITY it's the QUALITY!!!
2. Make sure the photos you post match your brand, represent you as an artist and not having people scratch their heads and say huhhh? this is not what I signed up to have in my feed "unfollow"....
3. Make people want to share your photos! Take well lit pictures - get a free photo editor like Aviary a brighten them up Make an interesting and pretty set up... I'll take pretty color coordinating props and place it near my print (it could be a rose and a lovely coffee cup, or your supplies...)
4. Don't be spammy! If your account is for business and you obviously want to attract customers. Do it in the the most beautiful and gentle way possible. Instagram is about pretty things to look at at! Post a great photo and write a bit about it...then add and it's now in my shop... post photos of your process, you at your work table....
5. Put your shop link in your bio! I have seen sellers that don't and people have to convo them how to make a purchase...why give an extra step?! If people like your photos and product let them just click and go straight to your shop and make a purchase!
6.For every photo you post at least one person (or two) may unfollow you I don't know why still...I could post an amazing shot that gets over 100 likes but for some reason it turned one someone off...Odd... but I learnt not to let it bother me.
7. Make sure to link to anyone or any brand in your photo that has an instagram account. They may repost it and get you more followers (this helps spread the word a lot!!) and tag with relevant hashtags that will get you found!!!
8.Lastly Have fun,make yourself active, liking and commenting on other's photos really helps you get in the game :) I hope these steps help you out! Please let me know if you have any to add xxx laura :)